Monday, May 4, 2009

Your thoughts and tips are most welcomed!!

In order to get ready for Kai, we are moving Eliana into a new room in the house. It just so happens that this room is one of the biggest rooms in the house, as it was created as a "Bonus Room" above the garage. We want to keep our guest room intact as it has its own bathroom, but have no idea how to make such a large room cozy for a little girl. Her big girl furniture arrives tomorrow and we are excited to see how it helps to fill up the room, which is basically empty right now. She seems excited to have a big girl room, but she is also a lot like me and thrives on structure and routine. Yikes!:) Anyways, our plan is to keep her in her current room all this week and just let her get used to the idea of having a room in the big one and see her new furniture in there. This week is also super busy for Jon as he finishes up his current class... 4 major things due the same week!! So we want to move her into her new room maybe next week. Is that too soon? How should we do it? Am I worrying too much? Are you laughing at my first time Mommyness shining through?:) Some of you have seen the room that I am talking about... any suggestions for making it cozy? I would love to hear how my more experienced Mommy friends got their children ready for the arrival of a new sibling! We can totally use any advice that you can give!:)

4 comments:

Emily Schueler said...

You aren't being silly, it is a VERY large room. Is there something you can divide it up with (bookshelf, cute screen, play kitchen, armoire, etc.)? I guess I would keep her bed towards the door and not the window, just for privacy, safe-securing feeling and of course it won't be so light. I'm a little stumped though. It can definitely still be her room/playroom and any kid would dream of such a room. Maybe I should be quiet now since I don't really have a good solution.

erin w. said...

I don't think you are worrying too much either, its a big change. I agree that keeping the bed in the front half of the room. Other than that, we let Cami choose which room she wanted to sleep. She was 18 mos so we were also letting her choose between a big girl bed & crib. It ended up being the big girl bed in the small room. It really was no big deal, we just had to switch Noah's nursery furniture into the big room. But considering that she stayed in the same room, I'm probably not the best at giving advice on how to transition. Noah received the bigger room, and he didn't know any different.

The Queen said...

Buy a bunch of really cool giant toys (the little tykes house, slide/swing combo), and throw in the foozball table for Jon. Get a few dollhouses and some giant stuffed animals. Well, at least that is what I would WANT to do. I bet it would give you plenty of time to get your housecleaning done. We've actually never transitioned a kid from room to room- just moved into a new house. So I'll be asking YOU for advice with Sarah at the end of the summer. Of course since then she'll be sharing with her big sister it may come with its own set of complications that truthfully I am just not really looking forward to!!!

Anonymous said...

I took Amanda out of the nursery about months before Evie arrived and I took Evie out the day Aaron came home. Amanda took about five days to be comfortable with her new room, but Evie had it hard. She would wake up at night and cry really hard. It just stopped a week or two ago. Evie was scared, but she was too small to switch into a toddler bed any sooner than that. So I would nurse Aaron, sleep, comfort Evie, sleep, nurse Aaron, sleep, comfort Evie, wake up. All that to say, you know her best and how she'll respond.