Monday, November 3, 2008

DISGUSTING!!!


For those of you who have either lived in or been to Hawaii, you know that we have some weird bugs there. From the centipedes and millipedes to the creepiest creature in all creation, the many sizes, shapes, and colors of cockroaches! Yuck!! But, seriously, I have never in my life seen more strange bugs than here in Virginia! My first introduction to one of their fine creatures was last year after we had just moved in. I was taking a shower and what do I see crawling on the ground towards me but an inch long skinny thing with long hairy looking legs sticking out on all sides, really too many legs to count. My first thought was centipede, from my many years in Hawaii, but then I thought, "Could there really be centipedes in Virginia?" Thankfully a good dousing of water washed that creepy fellow away. Icky!! When the weather started warming up again we discovered another creepy Virginia bug. This one looks like a giant ant. At first I thought it was the queen ant, but then we saw several of them and knew they all couldn't be the queen. This thing has three distinct body parts like an ant, but each part is literally pearl sized. It's huge! And the weirdest part, it is bright red in color! Jon tried to kill one and it had a really tough exoskeleton! EW! I am feeling all icky just talking about these things, but I have one more to go. Today while running on the treadmill, I spotted something strange on the floor. It was about 3 inches long and brown. I was trying to figure out what toy Eliana had brought downstairs with her that looked like that, when I noticed that it was moving. It looked like a cross between a caterpillar, worm, and centipede. I was in the middle of my run, so I decided to watch it a little more to see what it would do. But, it just kept moving closer and closer to where Eliana was watching a movie. I tried to sound nonchalant as I told her to climb up in her chair to watch the movie because there was a bug on the floor. She got right up there and just watched her movie. I knew I had to do something to get rid of the creepy thing, so I stopped the treadmill and ran upstairs to find a jar or something to trap it under. That way it could stay trapped and Jon could take care of it when he came home. Poor Eliana, the minute I ran upstairs to get a jar, she started screaming thinking the bug was going to get her. I got a jar as fast as I could and trapped that creepy thing under it. I then found some bean bag things from a game we have and put those on top of the jar, just to make sure that thing could not get out. Eliana's words to Jon when he got home, "Daddy, you have to go downstairs and take care of that creepy bug!" He threw it out in the road and hopefully it is dead and will not find its way back into our house. I took a picture of it trapped under the jar. I wish that I had pictures of the other grotesque bugs that I mentioned. They are truly unique and truly disgusting!!! I love God's creation... but sometimes wonder why the bugs and why so creepy!!

3 comments:

Emily Schueler said...

Good thing I didn't read this right after dinner. The upside to MN, no creepy bugs are stupid enough to live here (what does that say about us?).

The Queen said...

Centipedes were a product of the fall...I'm sure of it...I just wonder why Noah let them on the ark?

SPAYD FAMILY said...

Thanks for the link! I'm always on the lookout for centipedes too - in Georgia! I hope that I'll never come across anything so disgusting as those Hawaiian bugs!